Konza Techno City is located 60 kilometers from Nairobi, Kenya’s capital and largest city. The A109 highway connects Konza to Nairobi, Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, and Mombasa, the primary port of entry to East Africa and Kenya’s second-largest city.
Konza Techno City aims to foster the growth of the technology industry in Kenya. It is a Kenya Vision 2030 flagship project, as part of the national blueprint to create a competitive and prosperous nation with a high quality of life by 2030.The Government of Kenya hired the International Finance Corporation (IFC) in 2009 to serve as Transaction Advisor to guide and advice on project implementation. Several feasibility studies have been completed and 5,000 acres of land, formerly known as Malili Ranch.
The Konza Technopolis Development Authority (KOTDA) will lead the development and operations of Konza under the aegis of the Cabinet and the Ministry of Information and Communications. Advisors to the project include:
- IFC: The International Finance Corporation has been providing transaction support to the project since 2009.
- MDP1: Master Delivery Partner 1 has been procured for creating the business and master plan for Phase 1 of Konza (August 2012 – February 2013).
- MDP2: Master Delivery Partner 2 will be procured to lead the construction of Phase 1 infrastructure and establish initial real estate development partnerships (June 2013 – December 2017).
Strategy and Phase 1
Konza aims to be a global technology hub, focused on four economic sectors that will advance technology spending and technology growth in Kenya.
- Life sciences
It will begin with a 400-acre first phase with 1.5 million square meters of initial real estate development. This will include the development of US$750 million of on-site infrastructure and US$310 million of off-site infrastructure. Full build out of Phase 1 (2013- 2017) is expected to attract 30,000 residents, 7,500 knowledge workers, and 16,700 total workers. It is recognized that attracting companies will require a strategy rooted in urban development best practices.
- Konza Technopolis Development Authority (KOTDA)[Hyperlink to KOTDA page] will usher the development and operations of Konza. It will be focused on building infrastructure, securing real estate deals, and providing world-class services.
- Incentives will be provided to companies that align with job creation and technology sector growth goals.
- Sustainable and reliable infrastructure will provide the foundation for growth and be delivered through public-private partnerships.
- Active public realm and mixed use will be the hallmarks of Konza’s design, creating a high quality of life allowing people to live, work, and play within walking distance of their home.